Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Definition of a Dime

Greetings Divas!

So I just happened to be watching an episode of The Fabulous Life on E! the other day and got to thinking. They're showing all of these fabulous women who maintain their fierceness by getting plastic surgery, starving themselves with liquid diets and doing it all in the name of being a "dime." So here's the question. What really makes a diva a dime? Is it 36-24-36 measurements? A great set of lumineers? A bangin' personality? Or a combination of it all rolled into one divalicious package?

Urban Dictionary.com says a dime is "a very attractive person, a perfect ten."

I was discussing this subject with a friend of mine and we kept coming back to the thought that a stereotypical "dime" was a chick that you would find shaking her fabulous ass in a video or representing on the silver screen. Not necessarily the video hos that we see spreading it from Cali to DC in the name of a good beat, but the one that we all wish we looked like when we woke up in the morning. In case you still don't follow, let me name a few: my ladies in Destiny's Child, Kerry Washington, Ciara, Gabrielle Union, Vivica A. Fox.... need I continue?

It makes me wonder if we consider these women dimes because they represent this image of beauty and perfection or is it because they're beautiful and smart. Let's be real though. Of course we all understand that each and every one of these fashion-forward icons has a team of stylists and make-up artists to make sure they're looking their fiercest every time we see them. So where does that leave us - the ordinary sistas doin' the damn thang at our 9 to 5s, coming home and holdin' it down, still managing to walk with our heads up high and fabulousness in our hearts?

I think it makes us better in a way. Why? Because we don't have 16 extra people to help us be fabulous. Don't get it twisted, though, if presented with the offer to have someone make sure my eyebrows were arched to perfection every day of the week and someone else to hold my umbrella so I don't get wet in the rain -- trust, I'm all over that opportunity. My mama didn't raise no fool. But since I don't and probably won't, I do it all by myself. And that definitely makes me a dime.

So holla at me ladies. You feelin' me? Are you a dime?

Ciao Bella,

The Duchess

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey E,

I like the website girl! I'd have to say that you are definitely a diva!! To me, being a diva starts with believing that you are worthy of all the finer things, but not letting those things define who you are.

V