Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Too Much Sexy in 2008

Bonjour ladies,

So I've been doing a little thinking and have vowed to wow in 2008. Then I got to thinking, what exactly will show sexy in this diva-stating new year? Will it be fabulous fashions, European rides, trips abroad or new electronic gadgets that will usher in the hotness? While all of that is well and good, I decided to make some sexy life resolutions in 2008. So vanity aside, here's my list of sexiness for 2008. I hope you can feel me on this....

The Duchess

1. Financial Security - Sexy

Divas, too often we run to Neiman's or Saks or Barneys or Bloomingdales... log onto shopbop.com, net-a-porter.com, eluxury.com -- or whatever happens to be our particular poison of choice -- knowing good and doggone well we can't afford to purchase those $1400 Christian Louboutin leather boots. Fabulous as they might be (and trust me, I know they're fabulous) first things first. Let's not jepordize the mortgage or the rent (we'll get into this a little more later divas... -- by the way, why in the HELL are you buying Loubous and you don't even own your own pile of bricks) for some shoes that may be the hotness at this particular moment but you won't look twice at them next season. Not a good look ladies.

So here's what you do. Get yourself a budget. Freeze your credit cards -- literally -- if you have to, we've all seen the commercial of the young lady trying to chip her credit card out of a block of ice. It's definitely a means to an end. Personally, if I want to save and I don't trust myself... I just leave the plastic at home. So even if I do see something that I absolutely wouldn't be able to live without, I'm forced to... unless I decide to steal it and that's definitely not my steelo. The Duchess does NOT look good in horizontal black and white stripes. After you budget, give yourself an allowance. Here's where vintage shopping can come in handy and also be a lot of fun. Check out your local shops and get your "deal of a lifetime" on.

So when you're budgeting remember these things:
A. Live within your means -- Diva, if you can't afford that Benz, those Manolos AND the rent. Let it go. Drive your Acura, step out in Nine West and pay that rent on the first and not the 5th. You will still be fierce and fabulous.

B. Realize your personal goals -- What do you want out of life? Make a decision, write out your game plan and get to it!

C. Spend effectively -- There's a reason it's called an impulse buy. You DO NOT need yet another pair of Rock and Republic jeans for more than $200 bucks a pair. Put them down and walk away.

At any time you should be prepared financially for emergencies, regular bills and utilities and the occasional personal treat.



2. Owning Property -- Super Sexy
There's not too much guess work in this Divas. Why pay all that money on rent when you can buy. It just makes sense. Let me tell you, I lived in an apartment (fabulous as it was) for more than six years. That's an estimated $72,000 that I wasted--yes wasted--on something that I will never own or have a piece of. Even though I did have shelter, that's like paying $72,000 to drive a car but then having to give it back without anyone ever remembering that you had it at all. Nothing to show for your hard earned finances. Whatever. Times are a-changin' and we need to get with it.

And to what I was saying a bit earlier... YOU BETTER NOT BE DRIVING A $60,000 CAR AND WEARING $200+ SHOES LIVING IN AN APARTMENT!!!! Let's adjust our priorities. Fabulosity is real when you own EVERYTHING you have.

Enuf said.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Advice for 2008 !